Dyslexia can impact in ways much greater, and more far reaching, than the obvious ones.
In ways that can and do cause great psychological distress, anxiety, social alienation and unhappiness.
To address this we provide:
- 1-1 counselling and coaching support to address the emotional repercussions of these issues, either face to face at our North London base, or by Skype.
- Supervision and trainings for professionals working with dyslexia.
- Keynote speeches and lectures.
- The GroOops Dyslexia Aware Emotional Wellbeing and Counselling Network.
Why does GroOops Dyslexia Aware Counselling exist?
Many organisations provide excellent practical support and coaching. However, few specialise in providing a space totally dedicated to hearing about and addressing the secondary and constitutional presentations of *Dyslexia.
Many counsellors simply list Dyslexia as one of many areas of expertise. We focus purely on Dyslexia.
That is why GroOops Dyslexia Aware Counselling exists. We are a charity that tackles the impact and all the complex emotional issues that Dyslexia may bring – not just for the dyslexic person but for their families, colleagues and peers too.
As far as we are aware, we are the only therapeutic charity in the U.K. that focuses specifically on the emotional repercussions of Dyslexia.
*We use the term ‘Dyslexia’ because it is the most common of all Sp.L.D.s. What we do is largely applicable to all the other conditions known to be related such as Dyscalculia, A.D.H.D., A.D.D., Autism Level 1 (Asperger’s Syndrome), Dyspraxia and Dysgraphia. Many of these conditions can overlap and often coexist.
GroOops Dyslexia Aware Counselling is committed to maintaining ethical standards at all times and works within the Ethical Framework provided by the National Counselling Society.
What we aim to achieve.
To enable you to:
- Explore your unique sense of self.
- Appreciate your strengths.
- Reframe previous experiences.
- Develop a integrated sense of dyslexic identity.
- Experience a nurturing, accepting environment.
- Develop self confidence, self esteem and self efficacy.
A place to belong:
- A community where you are able to grow and develop self esteem and personal resilience.
- Affiliated to and working in partnership with The Dyslexia Association of London.
- GroOops Dyslexia Aware Counselling is an Organisational Member of The British Dyslexia Association.
To be heard:
- Nurturing and guidance from our experienced, specifically trained therapists.
- All of whom are dyslexic themselves or have extensive experience of dyslexia.
Being assessed as an adult I only wish my assessor had pointed me in the direction of GroOops Dyslexia Aware Counselling rather than IT support.
Coming to GroOops has been enlightening and reassuring. I don't feel so alone with dyslexia and I feel I will be able to cope better in the future.
Our participants have given extremely positive feedback and it was very gratifying to have so many members comment on the day - "Why isn't this available to all dyslexic people?"ADSHE Executive CommitteeKeynote
"Careful thought is given to the content of training and its presentation which is conducted professionally and appropriately. The feedback evaluation has been very good to excellent."CAMHS
"We do not know of any other service that provides the multi-disciplinary support that GroOops offers. The GroOops workshops have, without doubt, enhanced the support for vulnerable and/or challenging students offered by the school."The Compton School